‘Asserting Our Culture, Celebrating OurSelves.’
For over 34 years, Carifesta has been the world’s largest gathering of Caribbean arts and culture.
For Carifesta XIII 2017, Barbados will play host to the roving, multi-disciplinary festival, for the first time since 1981 – from Thursday, August 17 – Sunday, August 27, 2017. The premises of the National Cultural Foundation was in fact Barbados’ original hub back then. Barbados will make Carifesta history by including “the exhibition and the sale of cultural goods and services in a marketplace atmosphere, to which international buyers have been invited” (Grand Market and Buyers Shopping Mall) and offering a symposium featuring more than just the analysis of white papers. Events will be held island-wide.
3,000 #artists in contingents from 21 countries with all the disciplines represented: performing (music, theatre, dance and performance poetry/ spoken-word) film, culinary, visual art and craft & photography, fashion, health and beauty and of course, literature. Artists will have the opportunity to have their work exposed to thousands.
Take advantage of this by seeing below:
Register and reserve your space to sell, perform, have your work heard or viewed or even to volunteer. Just come and be a part of it! Barbados beckons with this video evoking all the senses, where you are personally invited. (Don’t expect to get much sleep with so much to experience!)
- Buyers’ Market Eligibility: Items produced or designed by a CARICOM or Cariforum national
- Design and sell Carifesta XIII Branded items *ask about the extended deadline
- Final fees paid by June 15, 2017
With the deadline extended to May 12, 2017, you still have the opportunity to be a part of this huge Caribbean marketplace.
Artists & Scholars:
Symposia – The University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, in partnership with the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Youth, Barbados, invites participation in the CARIFESTA XIII Symposium entitled “The Caribbean, the Arts and the Cultural Industries: Negotiating Tradition, Aesthetics, Economics and Legacy.” August 19 -23, 2017, UWI, Cave Hill Campus, Cave Hill, St. Michael, Barbados.
Buyers, Caribbean Culture Lovers & Visitors: Enjoy the festival. Make your travel plans and see what you need and where to stay HERE. I suggest following up your Crop Over stay with this not-to-be-missed one-stop Caribbean cultural explosion, if you can!
- Opening Ceremony – Kensington Oval, Bridgetown
- Grand Market & Buyers Shopping Mall
- Country Nights
- Super Concerts
- Signal Events (various disciplines)
- Regional Visual Art Exhibtions
- Film Screenings – Olympus Theatres, Sheraton Mall & Community Screenings
- Creative Fringe Programme
- Open Mic On The Green
- Family events including some planned for children
- Symposium (not just papers!) – Cave Hill Campus, University of the West Indies
- Closing Ceremony – Kensington Oval, Bridgetown
Keep watch for other cultural events planned around the same time, shared from the Carifesta channels, with a mobile app being developed too.
Carifesta VIII Barbados Team Principals
- Festival Director – Andrea Wells
- Artistic Director – John Hunte
- Symposium Conveners – Marcia Burrowes, Andrew Millington and Andrea King
- Co-ordinator, Grand Market & Buyers’ Shopping Mall – Andre Hoyte
Your Action Items
- Register by May 12th if you’re an artist.
- Answer the Call for Papers and art for the Symposium.
- Book and make your travel arrangements to Barbados, if you’re an #artlover
- Read about its rich history from inception in Guyana in 1972.
- Listen to the catchy Carifesta XIII Barbados jingle by Barbadian musician Darin Holder.
- Keep track of the evolving updates and news and via the website and of course, social media: Facebook, Twitter, Youtube.
- Support our Caribbean #culturalindustries by buying tickets, spending quality time with your family and students, purchasing goods and spreading the word
CONTACT: CARIFESTA XIII Secretariat Ministry of Culture Sports and Youth Sky Mall Complex Haggatt Hall, St. Michael Barbados Tel: +1-246-621-2700 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sources: Town Hall Meeting For Artists | Carifesta website