The Little Bird Writing Contest is “an annual, international contest exclusively for innovative, emerging short fiction writers. The contest opens each spring when the birds come back and showcases the excellent stories (up to 2,500-words)” that come from Sarah Selecky‘s ‘Story Is a State of Mind’s daily writing prompts, on Twitter.
An anthology is produced which is available to subscribers. Five dollars from every subscription goes to the Pelee Island Bird Observatory.
Each winning story is chosen by a celebrated author who also participates in The Little Bird Salon so that you can benefit from what they have to say. This year’s judge is Esi Edugyan, prize-winning author of the prestigious Giller Prize.
NB. The 2017 Contest opens on April 4th and closes midnight ET on May 4, 2017.
Entry Fee: CDN $25
- Winner: $1,000
- 1st & 2nd Runner up: $250
- Bonus prize won by a draw: a full scholarship to The Story Intensive. It’s a contest inside a contest! Each submission (you can enter as many times as you like) counts as a separate chance to win.
- winning stories are published in an annual short fiction anthology: Little Bird Stories.
– Read ALL of the guidelines HERE.
- Prepare with a) signing up for daily writing prompts b) free “Deep Revision” writing tutorial. subscribing to Little Bird Stories to see what past contest winners did with the prompts. It’s also recommended you join the online salon facilitated by this year’s judge.
- entries must be a maximum of 2,500 words
- your name must not appear anywhere on your story (on the submission form only)
- Include, at the top of the page, the daily writing prompt that inspired you (this prompt must be used in the story)
- Winners will be announced in June, alongside the release of the new anthology.
The Little Bird Writing Contest Sarah Selecky P.O. Box 6271 Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0 Canada Queries? email@example.com