Omemana is a brand new speculative fiction e-magazine seeking art and unpublished prose submissions from writers from Africa and the African Diaspora – with “original ideas, excellent writing and a strong emotional core.”
What are they seeking? Stories and art must be speculative fiction (Fantasy, Science Fiction,Horror or Magical Realism) and must involve characters, settings or themes directly related to the African continent. Stories and art should challenge normative ideas about gender, sexuality, ethnicity and religious belief. Also “positive iterations (though dystopias are welcome too).” as well as explorations of the past and new interpretations of myths, folklore and magic. No graphic viol”ent or sexual content.
Payment: No payments for successful submissions but they intend to arrange something for writers in the future
- All stories and art must be in English (translations welcome), must be original, unpublished works.
- NO poetry, drama or film scripts.
- NB. Unsuccessful submissions will not be acknowledged. No queries please.
- Theme: Open but in future editions, themes will be restricted.
- All text submissions must be 12-pt font, doubled-spaced and in one of the following file formats: .doc, .docx, .rtf, .odt as a single attachment.
- All text submissions must be 12-pt font, doubled-spaced.Short fiction should be no more than 5,000 words.You can send in two flash fiction pieces but they should not exceed 1,000 words each.
- Short fiction should be no more than 5,000 words.
- Flash fiction pieces but only (2) not exceeding 1,000 words each.
- We encourage submissions of creative non-fiction of no more than 3,000 words.
- Reviews should be between 800 and 1,500 words.
- Essays should not exceed 3,000 words.
- Graphic fiction and visual art should be sent as .jpeg.
Please read the rules carefully at the site.
Submit your work with a cover letter in the body of your e-mail providing contact details (name – not the pseudonym you write under, address, email and phone number), a brief publication history, a bio of no more than 100 words and a profile photo .
Submit via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Commonwealth Writers