TransitionsAbroad.com invites you to enter its 2009 Narrative Travel Writing Contest with a $500 first-place prize.
Professionals, freelancers and other talented travel writers are invited to write a travel narrative relating to the intrinsic educational aspects of meaningful travel. We are looking for evocative and engaging writing in which sensitive immersion in the country, the people, the food, the land, the art, the rituals, and the culture in general play the leading role in the writer’s self-discovery and enlightenment. We are absolutely not looking for self-involved travelogues or diaries, but rather for a well-crafted and inspirational story which should appeal to those who have traveled independently overseas with open minds, sensitive souls, and empathetic imaginations.
The specific theme for this year’s contest is “Travel in a Dangerous World.
In this year’s Narrative Travel Writing Contest, the first-place winner’s entry will receive $500 (USD), the second-place winning entry $150, and the third-place winner $100.
Any other articles selected as runner-ups will receive a $50 payment.
- Submit an original essay from 1,000 to 3,000 words. Supporting photos in .jpg or .gif format are welcome to illustrate the experience and are considered part of the essay submission.
- To enter the Contest, attach your essay in Word format or copy and paste it into an e-mail. Please include your full name, complete postal address and phone number. Please type “Narrative Travel Writing Essay Entry” in the subject description of the e-mail and send the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Contest begins February 1, 2008, and all entries must be received by December 15, 2008. Transitions Abroad Publishing, Inc. will require first-time North American rights for all submissions which are accepted as contest winners and for publication. In addition, Transitions Abroad Publishing, Inc. will reserve the right to reprint the story in a future publication. The writer may republish the unedited submission as desired after initial publication on TransitionsAbroad.com.
- Editors of TransitionsAbroad.com will judge entries based upon the following criteria:
- Sensitivity to the people and culture being described
- Ability to engage the reader
- Literary quality
- Winners will be notified by phone, mail, or e-mail by January 5, 2009 for publication by February 15, 2009 due to the time required for all writers spanning the globe to receive payment
The Contest is open to professional, freelance and aspiring travel writers from any location around the globe